The Palo Alto Networks™ PA-500 is targeted at high speed firewall deployments for enterprise branch offices and medium size businesses. The PA-500 manages network traffic flows using dedicated computing resources for networking, security, threat prevention and management.
The Palo Alto Networks enterprise firewall PA-500 is ideally suited for Internet gateway deployments within medium to large branch offices and medium sized enterprises to ensure network security and threat prevention. The Palo Alto firewall PA-500 manages network traffic flows with high performance processing and dedicated memory for networking, security, threat prevention, URL filtering and management. Palo Alto Networks next-generation firewall’s high speed backplane smoothes the pathway between processors and the separation of data and control plane ensures that management access is always available, irrespective of the traffic load.
The high speed backplane is divided into separate data and control planes, thereby ensuring that management access is always available, irrespective of the traffic load. The controlling element of the PA-500 next-generation firewall is PAN-OS™, a security-specific operating system that allows organizations to safely enable applications using App-ID, User-ID, Content-ID, GlobalProtect and WildFire.
Classify all applications, on all port, all the time with App-ID.
- Identify the application, regardless of port, encryption (SSL or SSH) or evasive technique employed.
- Use the application, not the port, as the basis for all safe enablement policy decisions: allow, deny, schedule, inspect, apply traffic shaping.
- Categorize unidentified applications for policy control, threat forensics, custom App-ID creation, or packet capture for App-ID development.
Extend safe application enablement policies to any user, at any location, with User-ID and GlobalProtect.
- Agentless integration with Active Directory, LDAP, eDirectory Citrix and Microsoft Terminal Services.
- Integrate with NAC, 802.1X wireless and other non-standard user repositories with an XML API.
- Deploy consistent policies to local and remote users running Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Android or iOS platforms.
Protect against all threat—both known and unknown—with Content-ID and Wildfire
- Block a range of known threats including exploits, malware and spyware, across all ports, regardless of common threat evasion tactics employed.
- Limit unauthorized transfer of files and sensitive data, and control non-workrelated web surfing.
- Identify unknown malware, analyze for more than 100 malicious behaviors, automatically create and deliver a signature in the next available update.
PaloAlto PA-500 - Subscriptions
The following Palo Alto Networks subscriptions unlock certain firewall features or enable the firewall to
leverage a Palo Alto Networks cloud-delivered service (or both). Here you can read more about each service
or feature that requires a subscription to work with the firewall. To enable a subscription, you must first
Activate Subscription Licenses; once active, most subscription services can use Dynamic Content Updates
to provide new and updated functionality to the firewall.
|Subscriptions You Can Use With the Firewall|
|Threat Prevention||Threat Prevention provides:
• Antivirus, anti-spyware (command-and-control), and vulnerability
• Built-in external dynamic lists that you can use to secure your
network against malicious hosts.
• Ability to identify infected hosts that try to connect to malicious
• Get Started with Threat Prevention
|DNS Security||Provides enhanced DNS sinkholing capabilities by querying DNS
Security, an extensible cloud-based service capable of generating
DNS signatures using advanced predictive analytics and machine
learning. This service provides full access to the continuously
expanding DNS-based threat intelligence produced by Palo Alto
To set up DNS Security, you must first purchase and install a Threat
• Get Started with DNS Security
|URL Filtering||Provides the ability to not only control web-access, but how users
interact with online content based on dynamic URL categories. You
can also prevent credential theft by controlling the sites to which
users can submit their corporate credentials.
To set up URL Filtering, you must purchase and install a subscription
for one of the supported URL filtering databases: PAN-DB or
BrightCloud. With PAN-DB, you can set up access to the PAN-DB
public cloud or to the PAN-DB private cloud.
• Get Started with URL Filtering
|WildFire||Although basic WildFire® support is included as part of the Threat
Prevention license, the WildFire subscription service provides
enhanced services for organizations that require immediate coverage
for threats, frequent WildFire signature updates, advanced file
type forwarding (APK, PDF, Microsoft Office, and Java Applet), as
well as the ability to upload files using the WildFire API. A WildFire
subscription is also required if your firewalls will be forwarding files
to an on-premise WF-500 appliance.
• Get Started with WildFire
|AutoFocus||Provides a graphical analysis of firewall traffic logs and identifies
potential risks to your network using threat intelligence from the
AutoFocus portal. With an active license, you can also open an
AutoFocus search based on logs recorded on the firewall.
• Get Started with AutoFocus
|Cortex Data Lake
and firewall web
Service in some
in the firewall
|Provides cloud-based, centralized log storage and aggregation. The
Logging Service is required or highly-recommended to support
several other cloud-delivered services, including Magnifier,
GlobalProtect cloud service, and Traps management service.
• Get Started with Cortex Data Lake
|GlobalProtect||Provides mobility solutions and/or large-scale VPN capabilities.
By default, you can deploy GlobalProtect portals and gateways
(without HIP checks) without a license. If you want to use advanced
GlobalProtect features (HIP checks and related content updates,
the GlobalProtect Mobile App, IPv6 connections, or a GlobalProtect
Clientless VPN) you will need a GlobalProtect license (subscription)
for each gateway.
• Get Started with GlobalProtect
|Virtual Systems||This license is required to enable support for multiple virtual systems
on PA-3200 Series firewalls. In addition, you must purchase a
Virtual Systems license if you want to increase the number of virtual
systems beyond the base number provided by default on PA-5200
Series, and PA-7000 Series firewalls (the base number varies by
platform). The PA-800 Series, PA-220, and VM-Series firewalls do
not support virtual systems.
• Get Started with Virtual Systems
PaloAlto PA-500 - Specs
Firewall throughput250 Mbps
Threat Protection Throughput100 Mbps
IPSec VPN throughput50 Mbps
GE RJ45 Ports8 x 10/100/1000
I/O ports1 x 10/100/1000 out-of-band management port | 1 x RJ-45 console port
Dimensions & Enviroment
Mounting1U, 19” standard rack (1.75” H x 10” D x 17” W)
Dimensions Width x Depth x Height (inches)1.75"H x 10"D x 17"W
Weight8 lbs / 13 lbs (Stand-Alone Device/As shipped)
Power supply180 W (40 W / 75 W)
Input Voltage (Input Frequency)100–240VAC (50–60Hz)
Max Current Consumption1A @ 100VAC
Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF)10.16 years
EMIFCC Class A, CE Class A, VCCI Class A
Max Inrush Current110A @ 230VAC; 51A @ 115VAC
Operating Temperature32° to 122° F, 0° to 50° C
Non-operating temperature-4° to 158° F, -20° to 70° C